How you start your morning sets the tone for the rest of the day.
I used to be that person who in the morning hit the snooze button at least 3 or 4 times. Finally I would drag myself out of bed at the last minute, read my social media as I rushed to get ready, and then running out the door missing breakfast with no plans for lunch. Now I know I was setting myself up for a bad day by not giving myself time to start my day with intention.
The list below was built after reading many similar posts myself, these are what stuck for me and the benefits.
Here are my 9 tips for starting your day with an intention of wellness!
1. Wake Up Early.
Here are the benefits:
- Go through your morning routine in a calm and pleasant way instead of being rushed.
- Get an early start to your goals, like your morning yoga or meditation.
- Take time to get your mindset ready for the day ahead.
- And have time for the other 8 tips.
2. Smile and Gratitude.
Small things can have a big effect on our life:
- When you start our day with gratitude you set the tone for a day in the positive. This small step of thinking of 3 things you are grateful for also rewires our brain to look for and find the amazing things in our lives.
- When you smile your body gives you a gift of feel-good neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin and endorphin’s. This will give you a mood boost first thing, and also strengthens your immune system helping you stay healthy.
It’s totally okay to fake the smile at first, even a forced smile will give you the benefits. You can also add to your gratitude, what made me smile yesterday? This is a sure way to bring back the memory and bring a new smile.
3. Make Your Bed.
I know it sounds simple, it also works wonders! Gretchen Rubin, author of “The Happiness Project”, says a simple way to be happier is to make your bed every morning. You get to start your day by doing something simple and create inner calm. You’ve already completed your first task of the day and you haven’t even left your room.
4. Brush Your Teeth.
I used to wait until after breakfast, or right before I’d leave for work. But did you know it is healthier to brush right after you wake up? By removing plaque and and cleaning your mouth you are protecting your teeth and gums from your breakfast. Now… want to boost this benefit even more? Scrap your tongue… you are doing so many amazing things all at once to boost your immune system and have a healthier mouth.
5. Drink Water With Lemon.
Now that your mouth is clean go drink a glass of warm water with lemon. Lemon has so many benefits:
- Get a Vitamin C boost right away that jump starts your immune system.
- Keep your skin looking great with the antioxidants that lemon provides.
- Clear your body of toxins as the water cleanses your kidneys and your liver.
- Alkalize your body to protect your bones.
Start your day by preparing your body. This will help get your blood moving through to your muscles, stretch out the kinks and get your muscles moving after sleeping. Taking just 10 minutes has amazing benefits. For me, it’s all yoga, not only do I get the benefits of the movement and stretching, now I get to add in the connection of my mind, body and spirit through the breath. It’s easy, just move with your breath. This simple way of moving also promotes mindfulness, your breath is always in the present so by having your focus there it will help bring you into the present moment also.
Give yourself a gift every morning that reduces stress, helps you give yourself space and provides your body with complete stillness. Starting with even 3 minutes a day can give you great benefits.
Here is how to start:
- Sit in a comfortable position. It is helpful to be in alignment, back straight.
- Close your eyes if you can, if not keep your focus down to the ground at a 45 degree angle and focus on your breath.
- Have a steady breath, don’t worry about how long it is, just focus on the quality. Nice easy balanced breath. It may help you at first to count, just don’t make it a competition with yourself.
- Every time you feel your mind wandering, bring it back to your breath.
8. Fuel your fire.
You wouldn’t give your car bad fuel and expect it to run efficiently. Give your body a healthy breakfast so it has the fuel it needs to support you in your day. There are so many benefits:
- You will have more energy!
- You’ll be more focus and able to concentrate.
- You’ll be less hungry throughout the day.
- You’ll be healthier, skipping breakfast is tied to being overweight.
9. Do one thing for your self.
Before you start your emails, and to do lists. Do one thing that is specifically for you to step towards your goals. This could be something creative, it could be reflecting in your journal or reading something tied to you reaching your goal. By taking 1 step towards your goal every day you will:
- Be moving in the right direction a little bit everyday.
- Feel empowered by your action, a little bit each day is all it takes.
- Be one step closer!
How it feels!
When I made the change to having a calm, morning routine of intent things really started to change. I found I had a calmer focused mind and a stronger body. Remember it only takes 21 days to create a habit and according to University College London 66 days to make it stick!
How will you start your day?