We invite you to discover the teacher within you with senior teacher Melanie Taylor. Melanie’s professional background of 25+ years of corporate leadership, non-profit leadership, and people development shone a light on how much stress, suffering, and illness was holding people back from living a fulfilled life they loved. Her own personally experience with stress, illness, unhappiness and depression helped her to see she needed to make a difference.
This allowed Melanie to newly discover her life with ownership, curiosity and compassion. Here she discovered that her personal 25+ year yoga practice has been a calming place for her to restore her mind and body, a gentle place to face her own suffering, and a safe place to choose to be the source of her life.
Melanie combines her experience and training as a Yoga Therapist, Thai Massage Therapist, ICF certified Transformational Coach and educator specializing in health, stress reduction, anxiety and depression with her trauma informed, therapeutic insights. Her nurturing approach leads you through an experience of self discovery and self confidence that is unparalleled.
Join Our Thriving Teachers Community
Life of Wellness Institute Curriculum
200-hour Yoga Teacher Training (Vinyasa, Yin, Restorative, and Yoga Nidra)
Philosophy, Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyle
- Discover Yogic history and the lineage of the many traditional paths of yoga
- Discover the 5 Elements in Ayurveda to understand your
unique constitution, create healthy routines and in designing asana classes
- Discover the 5 layers of self (Koshas) to be in supportive
balance, where we are able to support our selves towards transformation
- Discover the chakras for personal growth and in designing asana
- Discover the Yoga sutras and learn how to bring them to life in your in practice, relations, and meditation practice
- Discover Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha and the wisdom teachings of the Sutras
- Introduction to meditation and mindfulness. Students will focus
on meditation posture, concentration techniques, body-based mindfulness practices and inquiry into the inner workings of the mind.
- Demonstrate understanding of Ayurvedic elements and the impact of designing classes and routines to support the needs of the dosha
- Demonstrate understanding of Kosha and the impact of designing classes and routines to support the complete mind body and spirit
- Demonstrate understanding of Chakras and the impact of designing classes and routines to support balance • Demonstrate understanding of the Sutras, Yamas and Nyamas and how to translate them to a lifestyle
- Demonstrate understanding of meditation and mindfulness, and lead
a small class through guided practice
The Art of Asana and Pranayama
- Discover Yin, Vinyasa and Restorative yoga through the lens of the Elements of Ayurveda
- Discover specific benefits of postures and
pranayama for building a personal practice or for working with a wide range of students
- Learn to practice and skillfully teach poses through
greater understanding of anatomy, energetic actions and modifications
- Practice modifications for injuries and/or special needs
- Adjustments and assisting to meet individual needs
- Learn contraindications for foundational poses
- Learn basic Sanskrit for common poses
- Demonstrate understanding of Ayurvedic elements and how to apply asana and pranayama to support the needs of students and clients
- Demonstrate understanding of posture through anatomy and application for energetic benefits
- Demonstrate understanding of assisting and adjustments that are body
honoring and safe
- Demonstrate understanding of foundational poses and adjustments for injury, contraindications, and individual needs
The Art of Teaching and Sequencing
- Understand the art of holding space for each individual within a class
- Discover how to create a Trauma sensitive informed consent teaching environment
- Art of Teaching classes with observation and assisting principles
- Participate in engaging conversations such as, Holding Inclusive Space class which explores concepts: unpacking unconscious bias, body positive and inclusive language for teachers, and making agreements for safe space
- Learn inclusive language for teaching diverse groups
- Learn how to create ease and flow within the environment for all students and the teacher
- Learn the Life of Wellness Institute Teaching Template to design a diverse range of classes from intention and krama. From Intro Series, Basics, Vinyasa Flow, to Anatomical Themed classes
- Create sequences and practice teaching sessions in small groups or one-on-one with Mentor feedback
- Demonstrate understanding and holding space for another, including inclusivity and honoring of differences
- Demonstrate understand of
informed consent and trauma informed
- Demonstrate understanding of assisting and teaching from observation
- Demonstrate creating safe,
diverse, and appropriate environments
- Demonstrate class design based on intention and krama through elements, doshas, physical needs
- Demonstrate teaching through small group and one-on-one teaching
The Business of Yoga
- Explore the many ways to make a living as a teacher and how to set up realistic goals after graduating
- How to prepare for yoga auditions
and apply for teaching positions
- Conversations in ethics for teachers to understand the value of boundaries, policy and personal practice
- Understanding your unique teaching niche and Dharma
- Demonstrate understanding of individual Dharma
- Create a business/teaching plan for 1st year
- Design ethics and values for business / teaching
Anatomy and Physiology
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology for the entire body
- Learn the names of common bones and muscles to support popular
- Learn the nervous system and how it interacts within the mind and body
- Experiential classes weaving anatomical concepts and
principles into poses
- Understand pathology and contraindications to keep your students safe
- Learn the body systems, what the organs of the body do and how they are affected by asanas
- Energetic anatomy of the nervous system, bandhas, kleshas, vayus and chakras
- Demonstrate understanding of the physical body, anatomy, and nervous system and how to support ease, transformation and well-being
through Yoga and Meditation
- Demonstrate understanding of pathology, illness, injury, and contraindications and how to support students
with assists, adjustments and alternatives
- Demonstrate understanding of the energetic anatomy and how to support balance and wellbeing
- 5 hours of teaching to your cohort.
- 3 karma teaching hours within community with at least 2 feedback forms completed by your participants.
- 1 hour of observing one of your peers teaching and provide helpful feedback.
- 2 private mentoring sessions with lead teacher.
- Hands on experience in community that allows student to tap into their teaching skills
- Explore teaching niche and target clientele
Individual mentoring with teacher to explore
- Further development
- Long term planning
- Individual practice and needs
- 1 time tuition payment $3150 + GST = $3360.00
- 3 equal monthly payments of $1137.50 (Includes a $60 processing fee) (registration + 30 days + 60 days)
- 4 equal monthly payments of $861.00 (Includes a $80 processing fee) (registration + 30 days + 60 days + 90 days)
Self Care Recommendation:
We believe in supporting you to allow space for integration and digestion of the material.
Therefore we request all students of this training set up a consultation call to prioritize a plan for self-care throughout the training.
The experience can be demanding on the mind and body. We also acknowledge that there is the possibility of having a trauma response due to the in-depth material or content that might come up in discussions.
Please check in with your mind and body to choose if this is something that would be supportive for you and come prepared with tools and resources that support your nervous system.
We are an accredited Canadian School and issue official tax receipts for your tuition, and our graduates may register with the Yoga Alliance.