The ViniYoga Difference
After over 20 years in Hatha Yoga training and practice, an experience with Viniyoga and everything changed! What struck me was the focus on the movement with adaptation that honored the yogi as they are in that very moment. Having this combined with the breath lead movement that had been a part of my practice for decades I knew I had stumbled onto a home for my own practice. What I didn’t know at the time was that I was drawn to what Gary Kraftsow, calls the four key differentiators of Viniyoga.
- Linkage of Breath and Movement: Viniyoga links movement with the breath, which makes each movement more powerful, mindful, and structurally integrated than non-breath-centered movement. Some poses are done on inhale; others, on exhale. We even use the breath to do subtle, yet powerful, micro-movements when we stay in a pose.
- Use of Movement and Stay: Viniyoga students move in and out of poses before staying in them. Movement systematically prepares the body to hold a pose by warming the muscle groups that will be taxed in that pose. Movement also helps reprogram habitual movement patterns, so students move more functionally, even in non-yoga activities. We can also flow between poses with the best of them!
- Adaptation: Viniyoga adapts poses to the practitioner, rather than assuming there is one “right” way to do a pose. The goal is to achieve the function of a pose, instead of its form. This means that two students can do the same pose but look significantly different from each other. Ideally, they are feeling the same effects of the pose in their body.
- Sequencing: Viniyoga teachers carefully design classes so that each pose prepares for or erases strain from the poses before and after it. Proper sequencing both makes the practices safer (both in the short term and for years of consistent practice) and allows the practitioner to move more deeply into each posture with greater ease.
The beauty of this lineage and methodology is the adaptability to every level of student. As a yoga therapist this is essential to honoring and supporting the yogi! Viniyoga meets each yogi EXACTLY where they are and adapts the practice to meet the unique condition and specific goals of the yogi. In this way everything about the practice is customized to the student. There is no single practice, no single style, no single intention, and no right way to be in a pose. From this foundation Viniyoga can be as gentle and as strong as any other practice while also honoring the individual as they are.
Viniyoga (prefixes vi and ni plus yoga) is an ancient Sanskrit term that implies differentiation, adaptation, and appropriate application. For me it has become an honoring of who I really am, that allows me to be with resistance and challenge while supporting my needs and goals.
Viniyoga is a comprehensive and authentic transmission of the teachings of yoga including āsana, prāṇāyāma, bandha, sound, chanting, meditation, personal ritual and study of texts.
Lastly, my advice to yoga teachers and those who wish to explore becoming a teacher: Teaching yoga is not about you as the teacher, our role is to be a guide for our students that creates the space for them to fully connect with their true self, to be the supporter of their unique mind, body and spirit needs. In my experience, this is where as a teacher my heart sings.
Our 200 hour Yoga Alliance Certified Yoga Teacher training is the first discovery based transformative training designed to address the complexity of living a life of wellness in the 21st century, and prepares you to master the 4 key ingredients of living with peace of mind, easefulness, thriving and fulfillment for you AND your students.
- Master the discovery and awareness of your own mind, body and spirit: Because experiencing being in the thick of it prepares you to be a guiding light for others
- Discover the why’s within your mind, body and spirit: Because acceptance and understanding creates a solid foundation for sustainable transformation
- Awakening your inner strength and resilience: Because you are whole and complete as you are, and tapping into your inner strength and resilience gives permission for your students to find and honor their own
- A foundation of support and mentorship: Because together we deepen our learning, invest in our well-being and self-expression, and expand our impact
Yoga Teacher Training... It's not just about teaching yoga
“When yoga is understood in its totality, it is not a religion; it is a practical and comprehensive science for realizing life’s ultimate aims. The yoga tradition provides one of humankind’s most effective systems for achieving enrichment and happiness in every aspect of life. In short, in the same way that the physical practice of yoga so effectively benefits your body and mind, the larger science is similarly powerful in unlocking the vast potentials of your body, mind, and spirit to help you achieve your best life imaginable.” Rod Stryker – The Four Desires.
Our student join us with many intentions;
In fact many of our students come to training without an intention to teach;
- “I always feel calmer after yoga and want to know how to bring that feeling into my whole life”
- “I suffer from anxiety and depression and I want a way to support my mind and body to live a life I love”
- “The only time my mind is quiet is during yoga, can you help me find that outside of the studio?”
- “Yoga helps me deal with the aches and pains in my body and I want to know how to create that on my own”
- “I wish my family could benefit from yoga but they just won’t come to a class”
“Melanie, I need to impress upon you what you are doing is profoundly important. You are giving women a new lease on life, the value is priceless. Nothing but love and respect for you. Sometimes you light candles, sometimes you light a firecracker. This time you lit a lighthouse that will endure and guide others as well.” Lindsey Coyle
- Have you found peace, balance and a foundation of thriving in your life through your yoga practice, and you are READY to share this with others?
- Do you want to give yourself and the people you love the gift of freeing themselves from the constraints of stress, anxiety and depression?
- Are you looking for a mentor who will lead you in your own yogic lifestyle AND guide you towards a successful business?
“Melanie at Life of Wellness has been a mentor of mine for just over 2 years now. She has mentored me through my 200 hr yoga teacher training as well as my Thai massage therapy training. Melanie holds a vast wealth of knowledge in many different aspects and is very supportive in helping her students succeed. She is such a kind, compassionate and caring soul. I am honored to have had her as a mentor, teacher, and friend over these past few years!” Sara Folk
Benefits of joining our Tribe
During our journey together you will:
- Be honored as who you are and supported in your own journey with loving kindness, empathy, and curiosity
- Be part of a supportive community that values your experience and wisdom as a source of deeper learning
- Create a foundation through the ancient teachings of ViniYoga and the skills of discovery based transformative learning to deliver a customized and complete experience to your students and clients
- Identify your individual niche with the clarity to know, connect with and find your ideal students and clients
- Design your own business plan complete with resources you need to successfully live the life of an entrepreneur
- Confidently step into your inner strength with ease knowing that your teacher will champion and guide you to fulfilling your dreams
- Boldly and courageously step into your self-expression and claim your value in your life and as a ViniYoga Teacher
Through discovery based transformative learning you will discover the foundations of the yogic way of living, find ease and peace in your mind body and spirit, given the tools and resources to create individual and group session plans at ease, and be ready to boldly step in a career as a ViniYoga teacher. Together we will design the career you want, with the skills to set you up for success, and the support network to life you up and continue your journey.
Oh ya, and you will have fun, create a tribe and develop ease in the mind, body and spirit.
Here’s what our graduates had to say about her experience:
Melanie, I need to impress upon you what you are doing is profoundly important. You are giving women a new lease on life, the value is priceless. Nothing but love and respect for you. Sometimes you light candles, sometimes you light a firecracker. This time you lit a lighthouse that will endure and guide others as well.Lindsey CoyleFounderAirdrie Exchange
Melanie at Life of Wellness has been a mentor of mine for just over 2 years now. She has mentored me through my 200hr yoga teacher training as well as my Thai massage therapy training. Melanie holds a vast wealth of knowledge in many different aspects and is very supportive in helping her students succeed. She is such a kind, compassionate and caring soul. I am honored to have had her as a mentor, teacher, and friend over these past few years!
Melanie was a key part of my Yoga Teacher Training experience. She taught with kindness, empathy, and skill. I hope to embody those qualities as a yoga teacher myself. I would highly recommend taking any classes from Mel.Kristen PowellFounderResonance Art Studio
Melanie is a role model to me in mothership and cares for her clients in a way that always has them feeling listened to and well understood. I have had the honor of learning yoga teacher training from Melanie and we both share a passion for bringing tools to our clients for stress reduction, the empowerment humanity and trauma-informed practices. Melanie is a key support person for those of us in this community and has volunteered endless hours of time to better the community and support the people who are part of it.
I started as a student of Melanie's in Jan 2018 during my 200 hr yoga teacher training and loved her so much that we became co-facilitators of an embodiment and mindfulness focused program this past year! Melanie is able to connect with people through her vulnerability and compassion; she meets her students where they are at and is a beacon of light towards a newfound experience of empowerment and self-love. Thank you for continuing to challenge and support me in all I am up to in the world, Mel!Sherri StokesFounder and Yoga TeacherOasis Within
Melanie is such a wonderful teacher and what’s more, is she uses her whole heart in her teachings which make her classes authentic and real!
This program is for you if you…
- Desire a mentor who both honors and challenges you to step into your inner strength
- Are committed to making a difference in your life and the lives of others
- Know that you want to impact the suffering in the world and yearn for a path to guide you
- Want to escape the education death valley with a teacher who is focused on your individual learning needs
- Value intimate class sizes that are inclusive, and highly effective in developing retention of knowledge and skills
- Want to actively create your support tribe as a teacher and for your personal practice
Investing in yourself... Transforming your passion into your career
In our training you will:
- Increase your learning potential in our small class sizes while gaining a powerful tribe of support and camaraderie.
- Experience how discovery based learning improves your knowledge retention so that you can sleep well knowing your time and investment is secure.
- Become a part of our teacher network, with on going support for your personal practice and teacher journey.
- Benefit from our 29 years of experience in yoga, emotional resilience and discovery based teaching so that you can deepen your person practice while connecting with your inner teacher and share the gift of yoga authentically and fully.
- Be honored and supported by our senior teacher who is dedicated to you finding and deepening your individual practice, connecting to your Dharma and sharing it authentically with the world.
ViniYoga Teacher Training Calendar
Summer Intensive 2020
This program registration is closed
- Module One – July 6 – 11 and July 20 – 25, 2020
- Module Two – Aug 3 – 8 and Aug 17 – 22 2020
- 7:50 am to 5:00 pm
Winter Weekends 2020
- Module One – Sep 19, 20, Oct 3, 4, 17, 18, 31, Nov 1, 14, 15, 2020
- Module Two – Jan 9, 10, 23, 24, Feb 6, 7, Feb 20, 21, Mar 6, 7, 2021
- 7:00 am to 6:15 pm
Spring Weekends 2020
- Module One – March 13, 14, 15 and 28, 29, April 17, 18, 19 and 25, 26
- Module Two – May 8, 9, and 22, 23, 24, and June 5, 6, 7 and 19, 20
- 7:00 am to 6:15 pm
Each training consists of two modules which can be completed as one program, or taken separately within a 1 year period.
Our team is available to help you, please click here to book a training exploration call today